Find a job: Homes for Ukraine – GOV.UK

We use some essential cookies to make this website work.
We’d like to set additional cookies to understand how you use GOV.UK, remember your settings and improve government services.
We also use cookies set by other sites to help us deliver content from their services.
You can change your cookie settings at any time.
Departments, agencies and public bodies
News stories, speeches, letters and notices
Detailed guidance, regulations and rules
Reports, analysis and official statistics
Consultations and strategy
Data, Freedom of Information releases and corporate reports
Where to find work, who can help you and how to access skills based training for employment.
Find a job
Understanding and speaking English well will help you to find employment and speak to customers and colleagues easily. Take a look at the courses and resources available for learning English as a second language.
Jobcentre Plus helps people who need benefits to find work, and helps employers advertise jobs.
The services they offer include:
They also have a free employment advice service, access to training opportunities and can direct you to other organisations for specialist support.
They can help people who receive benefits because they are unemployed or unable to work because of a health condition or disability.
Jobcentre Plus has public computers you can use to search for jobs. You can find this free service at the Job Centre Plus in most cities, and some towns across the UK.
Find your nearest Jobcentre Plus office.
Job Centre Plus will assign you a work coach who you will meet regularly.
They will support you to build your skills and explore different job options and training opportunities.
Your work coach can:
A disability advisor can support you and help you access correct support and suitable employment.
Access to Work can help you get or stay in work if you have a physical or mental health condition or disability.
The support you get will depend on your needs. Through Access to Work, you can apply for:
You can speak to your work coach about support if you are disabled, or read more about Access to Work.
The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) are receiving details from employers who would like to employ people from Ukraine. Details of these job opportunities will be shared with work coaches at Jobcentre Plus.
Find a job and Find an apprenticeship: A free online job website with the latest vacancies for jobs or apprenticeships covering different career opportunities and job sectors. You can search for jobs without an account, but you will need to create an account to apply for a job.
National Careers Service: Provides free, personalised information and guidance on careers. They can help you to make decisions about learning, training and work. Advice can be given individually or in groups, either in person, by phone or online.
You could also:
When you find a job you want to do, you need to apply for it. Your work coach can help you with this.
To apply you might need to include:
A CV (curriculum vitae or resume) lists your skills, education, and work experience. You normally need to include your CV as part of a job application.
You should try to write your CV so it is relevant to the job you are applying for. You can find free templates for CVs online. Your work coach can help you.
This can be either an email, letter, or entered on an online form, depending on how you are applying for a job.
You can use the letter to introduce yourself, highlight your skills and knowledge and explain why you are right for the job.
Employers may ask to see your documents, like:
Show them original documents, if you have them.
You do not need to accept a job offer if it isn’t suitable for you. Your visa is not connected to any work offer you do or do not choose to accept.
Your employer does not have the right to keep your ID documents, which you will show them to prove your right to work in the UK before you start working for them.
When you have sent in your application, you may be invited to an interview.
Interviews can be different depending on the job you have applied for, or the company you have applied to. You might be asked questions in a more formal interview or asked to do a trial shift.
You may be asked to prepare something in advance like a presentation. You will be told before the interview if you do need to prepare anything.
Try to arrive early to the interview and check what the dress code is.
You can ask your work coach to help you prepare for your interview.
Don’t worry if you do not hear back from the employer, they do not always contact you if you have not been successful. It is normal to apply for many jobs at once.
Employers might also ask for references from people who can confirm you are suitable for the job.
They will usually ask for someone you have worked with, or someone who has known you well.
They normally ask that you are not related to your reference
Depending on the type of employment that you are seeking, the employer may need to see a criminal record certificate from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). This is known as a DBS check and will include details of your criminal history in the UK. In the majority of cases, it will not include details of any criminal records from abroad.
If you have not been in the UK for very long, the employer may also require details of your criminal record in the other countries that you have lived in.
The Home Office has guidance for employers who want to request overseas criminal records checks for time spent overseas. This guidance includes who can apply, how to apply, and relevant contact details.
Information on how to obtain criminal record information from Ukraine is available in Ukrainian on the official web-page of the Embassy. This states that Ukrainian citizens can apply for their Ukrainian criminal record in the Ukrainian Consulate in London using the online registration. This procedure usually takes up to one calendar month. In order to speed up the process applicants can obtain the extract from the register online or In this case the confirmation letter will be issued by the Consulate within 3 working days.
Every employer in the country must pay their employees or workers a minimum amount per hour. How much this is, depends on how old you are.
People classed as ‘workers’ must be at least school leaving age to get the National Minimum Wage. They must be 23 or over to get the National Living Wage.
Contracts for payments below the minimum wage are not legally binding. The worker is still entitled to the National Minimum Wage or National Living Wage.
Workers are also entitled to the correct minimum wage if they’re:
These rates are for the National Living Wage (for those aged 23 and over) and the National Minimum Wage (for those of at least school leaving age). The rates change on 1 April every year.
For the most up to date information look at National Minimum Wage and National Living Wage rates. You can also find out more information at Check Your Pay.
You cannot work more than 48 hours a week on average, normally averaged over 17 weeks. This law is sometimes called the ‘working time directive’ or ‘working time regulations’.
You can choose to work more by opting out of the 48-hour week.
If you’re under 18, you cannot work more than 8 hours a day or 40 hours a week.
You may have to work more than 48 hours a week on average if you work in a job:
Voluntary work means working for an organisation without being paid. This could be for a charity or a voluntary organisation.
Volunteering can help you build your confidence and skills, meet new people, and give back to your local community.
Voluntary work could increase your chance of getting a job, especially if you haven’t worked in the UK.
You can get careers advice and support from the National Careers Service.
Anyone aged 13 yours old and up in England can get free careers information, in person, online, and on the phone. Call 0800 100 900 or look at their online information.
Scotland’s national skills body is Skills Development Scotland (SDS). Call 0800 917 8000.
To help you plan your career, prepare to get a job, and find and apply for the right apprenticeships, courses and training look at Careers Wales.
For careers information, advice and guidance to people living in Northern Ireland go to the Careers Service.
If you have a professional qualification, it needs to be officially recognised if you want to work in a regulated profession in the UK.
‘Regulated profession’ is a legal term used to describe a profession where it is a legal requirement to have specific qualifications or experience before you can do certain professional activities or use a specific job title. Read the full definition of regulated professions.
Regulated professions include:
Your qualification needs to be recognised by the appropriate regulator for your profession. You will need this even if you are doing temporary work.
For more information about how to get your qualifications recognised look at the UK Centre for Professional Qualifications (UK CPQ). This is a free service.
Most teachers in England hold Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).
Overseas teachers, including those who qualified in Ukraine, can work without QTS in a maintained school or indefinitely in an academy or free school. If you work in a maintained school, you can get your QTS by completing the assessment-only route.
There is some funding available for Ukrainian teachers who would like to do an assessment-only programme to gain QTS. Speak to your assessment-only provider or school about this. More information about funding options can be found in the guidance for Ukrainian teachers.
You could also complete an accredited course of teacher training in England which leads to QTS.
If you live in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland there are different routes to work as a teacher:
The official job-listing service from the Department for Education and used by over 17,000 schools to post their teaching roles is Teaching Vacancies. You can search for a job at a school or trust in England, save jobs and set up job alerts.
You can find and apply for teacher training.
In further education (FE) there are no formal qualification requirements for teachers in the UK. Employment as a teacher would be the decision of the individual provider. To help employers and individuals compare qualifications you can find out more by looking at the UK ENIC website. More advice is available about teaching in further education.
Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.
To help us improve GOV.UK, we’d like to know more about your visit today. We’ll send you a link to a feedback form. It will take only 2 minutes to fill in. Don’t worry we won’t send you spam or share your email address with anyone.


Leave a Comment